How to pack comics for shipping

Moderator: Moderator Team

Boozad
Quingenti Maximus

How to pack comics for shipping

Postby Boozad » Mar 25, 2010 12:58 PM

This guide basically outlines how to pack your books for shipping to a customer. Many's the time buyers have received damaged books due to poor packaging, and 99% of the time the chances are you will lose return customers if your books aren't packed correctly. Plus the chances are you will be asked for a refund, resulting in you being either out of pocket or saddled with damaged books.

It pays to bare in mind that buyers are giving you their hard-earned money for your books, so a little time and consideration in making sure they arrive in top condition is the least you can do.

Raw books.

Step 1:

Find a suitable oversized box that is substantially bigger than the books.

Step 2:

I’m packing ten books here, so what I do when sending more than one book is place all of the books into one larger bag. The reason for this will be explained in a moment. Turn half (or as close to half) of the books facing inwards so the backing boards are facing outwards on both sides of the stack.

Step 3:

Fold the bag around the stack of books snugly and tape it shut securely, this will prevent any of the books moving around in the sandwich you’re going to make.
The reason for using a bag is that there is no trying to rip tape of the comic bags (nightmare) when the recipient opens the package. The tape can be cut from the outer bag quite easily and the books are free straight away.

Step 4:

Next up, find two sturdy pieces of cardboard. They need to be bigger in dimension than the stack of books but smaller than the internal dimensions of the box.

Step 5:

Tape the bagged stack of books to one of the pieces of cardboard, with a piece of tape at each end and each side. Larger stacks may need more than one piece of tape on each side.

Step 6:

Take the second piece of cardboard and lay it onto the exposed side of the stack of books, making a sandwich so to speak. Now tape the sandwich together with a piece of tape on each side (larger stacks again – more tape again). Offset the pieces of tape so as they don't get stuck to the pieces of tape holding the books to the first piece of card. Getting several layers of tape stuck together when opening a package can get very annoying.
I also fold one end of each piece of tape over to form a tab (on every single piece of tape used in the package), and mark out where to open. This isn’t because I think the recipient has issues, it’s just helpful. I hate scratching a pieces of tape stuck to cardboard for half an hour.

Step 7:

Now you’re ready to put your book sandwich into your box. Make a protective layer across the bottom of the box. I’ve used packing peanuts, but bubble wrap or even newspaper will work. (For domestic packages I will place the oversized cardboard sandwich into a bubble mailer. Any corner or side impacts are absorbed by the cardboard, not the books).

Place the book sandwich on top of the protective layer, then fill up the remaining space with packing, making sure if that any gaps around the sides of the sandwich are filled.

Step 8:

Close up the box and make sure that every opening is covered in packing tape. I prefer to use ‘Fragile’ tape, the people who handle the package may not give a damn about your books, but hey – at least you’ve tried to warn them!

Slabbed books.

Step 1:

Wrap the slab extensively in bubble wrap. At least one pass each way (horizontally and vertically), and I'd recommend using more if you're using the smaller bubbles than the large bubbles.

Step 2:

Using a suitably sized box, place a layer of peanuts on the bottom of the box, place the slab on top, then surround the slab around the sides and on the top with more peanuts.

Step 3:

Tape up the box, again covering all openings with tape. I use Fragile tape to state the obvious, and when shipping abroad I use Handle With Care labels.

Obviously this example was for one book only, larger boxes and extra packing materials will be required for larger amounts of books.

NOTE: For higher $ purchases (ie: anything over what you can afford to reimburse out of your own pocket) should always be insured for the full value of the books. Tracking is also highly recommended, especially on international packages.

It may also be an idea to offer double boxing to buyers if they are willing to foot the extra shipping cost.

The guide for raw books is also a good method to use when submitting books for grading.
Last edited by Boozad on Jul 23, 2010 5:54 AM, edited 3 times in total.

Phil Prasco
Be Nice to Newbie

Re: How to pack comics for shipping

Postby Phil Prasco » Jul 22, 2010 3:11 PM

Gav,
if you still have the images from this article, I have plenty of room to
store them on my server. We can work out the links.
Phil

Patrick Beam
Forum Junkie

Postby Patrick Beam » Jul 22, 2010 4:14 PM

How bout some photos nerd!

Phil Prasco
Be Nice to Newbie

Postby Phil Prasco » Jul 23, 2010 2:10 AM

He's busy over at CGC looking at your carp for sale, while
you're busy looking at his carp for sale ... :stircrazy:

Boozad
Quingenti Maximus

Postby Boozad » Jul 23, 2010 5:22 AM

I only had the photos saved to Photobucket, and for some reason I lost the album (along with a couple of others) :???

But I've taken some new ones, just waiting for my CF card reader to come through which should arrive today. I'll have the post fixed by tonight :righton:

Boozad
Quingenti Maximus

Postby Boozad » Jul 23, 2010 5:55 AM

There we go, all fixed.

Thanks for the offer of hosting the photos Phil :righton:

Patrick Beam
Forum Junkie

Postby Patrick Beam » Jul 30, 2010 12:57 AM

Phil Prasco wrote:He's busy over at CGC looking at your carp for sale, while
you're busy looking at his carp for sale ... :stircrazy:

You can say crap here. 8-)

Phil Prasco
Be Nice to Newbie

Postby Phil Prasco » Jul 31, 2010 3:00 PM

And you can tell I only have crap left, err, carp, 1200+ looks and
only 8 buyers, in a way that's good, I haven't bought anything to
flip for a couple of years, just the standard stock for my webshops.
Maybe the wife has finally reigned in the 12 year old boy inside me that
wants to buy everything I see. :lol:

Thanks for reposting Gav, I'm going to work on a link to this thread
for a reference guide I've been working on for my webshops.

whisp
Century Club

Postby whisp » Aug 17, 2010 8:49 PM

:applause:

Britanica
Be Nice to Newbie

Postby Britanica » Aug 07, 2014 5:10 PM

That is grade A packing right there. You have Amazon beat in my book. haha
I will keep this in mind if I ever have to ship come books or comics around. I always worry when I buy them online.
ImageComicsMemorabilia.com
THE online source for comics and memorabilia.

A site started by collectors for collectors.

Return to “General Comics Discussion”