All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: X-men 120 opinions please
PostPosted: Jul 09, 2012 7:35 PM 
Century Club

I bought this X-Men 120 for $40 at a comic show in Knoxville last month from a seller called StarBase 1552 Comics. They are located in Mount Pleasant, TN. You can also find them on Ebay.

Anyway, I want to get opinions on this copy of X-Men 120 I bought. What would you grade it? Has it been trimmed? And ink bleed at top and bottom of back cover -- what do you think? That's what the seller told me it was. I'll post some pictures.

This is the top of the back cover. Note the ink bleed. Is this normal?

This is the bottom of the back cover. Again note the ink bleed.Image

Now the next two pictures are from the last page. Has this comic been trimmed?

Post subject: Re: X-men 120 opinions please
PostPosted: Jul 10, 2012 10:08 AM 
Century Club

Wish I could help out, but I don't consider myself knowledgeable enough to grade, let alone determine trimming and ink bleed. However, that being said, the cover looks nice and if you wanted/needed the book for your collection then don't beat yourself up for the purchase. You can always upgrade it down the road. :2cents:

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2012 12:04 PM 
Forum Junkie

First off, nice book! :righton: Lets get to your questions.

I don't know if it is ink bleed or just ink spills. Either way, I think they will affect the grade. The ones your book has aren't the worst that I've seen though. As for the trimming, I have a couple of questions. Is the cover really that much bigger than the inside pages? It looks like there is substantial overhang on both the top and bottom. As for the side, it is hard to tell from the images if it is a trim job or a miscut during manufacturing. Again, I'd say that it would also affect the grade. From what you can see on the scan, the book looks to be in really nice shape other than what you highlighted. Bigger scans of the cover(s) would help though. From what I see, I think I'd grade it about a 5.0 - 6.0. Just my :2cents: .

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2012 1:16 AM 
Century Club

Thanks, pwog and macthro. I had the comic sitting on the inside of a Wizard Magazine so that I wouldn't get any dust on the comic. Sorry about that. When the comic is closed, the centerfold pages stick out a bit farther than the others pages, making me question if the comic has been trimmed. I had it graded at 8.0, but I thought it if it had been trimmed, that was way off.

I saw an X-Men 98 with similar ink bleed at the top that was CGC graded 8.0. I don't know what to think about my copy anymore.

Thanks again, guys.

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2012 5:23 AM 
Director

The ink is distributor overspray, which should not affect the grade at that level. Distributors marked their books with what I assume was spray paint to avoid getting returns from another distributors books. Usually you just see it on the edge of te bottom or top.

It also appears to have a bad cut. I can't imagine why someone would so drastically "trim" this book, so I presume it was just a nasty miscut at he printer.

Zarelli Space Authentication, LLC
www.SpaceLOA.com

My collecting blog
http://www.MrZipper.com

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2012 8:39 AM 
Forum Junkie

Mr. Zipper wrote:
The ink is distributor overspray, which should not affect the grade at that level. Distributors marked their books with what I assume was spray paint to avoid getting returns from another distributors books. Usually you just see it on the edge of te bottom or top.

It also appears to have a bad cut. I can't imagine why someone would so drastically "trim" this book, so I presume it was just a nasty miscut at he printer.

I wasn't sure if that was distributor overspray or not. I don't think I have ever seen a book with DO on both sides like that one has. I could be (and probably am) wrong though.

I agree with the bad cut. I think it was a manufacturing error as well. If it was a trim job, it was horribly done!

As for the grade, it could be better than I first mentioned but bigger scans of the covers would be needed. It still looks like a really nice book.

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2012 10:59 AM 
Director

macathro wrote:
Mr. Zipper wrote:

I wasn't sure if that was distributor overspray or not. I don't think I have ever seen a book with DO on both sides like that one has. I could be (and probably am) wrong though.

I agree with the bad cut. I think it was a manufacturing error as well. If it was a trim job, it was horribly done!

As for the grade, it could be better than I first mentioned but bigger scans of the covers would be needed. It still looks like a really nice book.

I've seen it before with distributor spray on the top and bottom. Someone went nuts with the spray can. :score:

www.SpaceLOA.com

My collecting blog

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2012 1:03 PM 
Century Club

Mr. Zipper wrote:
macathro wrote:
Mr. Zipper wrote:

I've seen it before with distributor spray on the top and bottom. Someone went nuts with the spray can. :score:

Wow! I had no idea that distributors did that!

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2012 6:02 PM 
Century Club

Very vaulable information, Mr. Zipper and others. I appreciate that very much. Thanks again everyone for the input. I didn't know about distributors spray painting comics! Learn something new everyday.

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2012 1:44 PM 
Quingenti Maximus

Logerine wrote:
Very vaulable information, Mr. Zipper and others. I appreciate that very much. Thanks again everyone for the input. I didn't know about distributors spray painting comics! Learn something new everyday.

Yes, distributor overspray is very common, If you buy comics from that period for very long then you'll soon find more examples.

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2012 6:39 PM 
Quingenti Maximus

Looks like a term that should be added to the "Comic Book Collecting Key Terms" section. :sinister:

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2012 5:32 AM 
Director

DeadOne wrote:
Looks like a term that should be added to the "Comic Book Collecting Key Terms" section. :sinister:

:righton:

www.SpaceLOA.com

My collecting blog