All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 11:19 AM 
Century Club

Hi,

New to these forums. I searched for the above topic, but didn't get results. So, I'm just trying to find out if there is a difference in the comic books between newsstand Vs. direct market editions - or is the difference just distribution?

Thanks!
-pwog

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 12:12 PM 
Forum Junkie

First off, great question. The short answer is, normally, yes there is a difference. Back in the '80s the newsstand copies would have a bar code and the direct market would have a picture (Spider-Man for Marvel and the DC logo for DC if I remember correctly). Today (and for a while now) they both carry a bar code but it will state on it "Direct Market" or "Newsstand". As for value, right now, there are very few, if any, that one copy will have a higher price than the other with one exception being that the Direct Market copy had some sort of cover enhancement (foil, hologram, etc.) whereas the Newsstand copy doesn't. There was no difference in the content of the comic book at all.

All this is off the top of my head. I think there was an Overstreet Price Guide that had an article about this topic. I'll try to find out more info in the meantime but I'm sure there is someone here who can shed more light and/or correct me if I misspoke.

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 12:46 PM 
Director

There are some opinions here on the rarity of newsstand copies.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ub ... er=4759464

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 2:31 PM 
Century Club

Interesting - Thanks for your replies.

PostPosted: Feb 29, 2012 3:58 AM 
Century Club

I came here looking for this topic. Glad pwog started it. Thanks.

I was wondering about other collectors' thoughts on this subject. I have noticed that Mile High Comics usually charges a lot more for some newsstand editions than the direct market editions. For example: Spider-Man Versus Wolverine (1987 1st print) Mile High Comics is charging $24.00 for a NM direct edition and $52.50 for a newsstand edition. Is the newsstand really that more rare of a book in this issue to validate the higher price? Just asking.

PostPosted: Feb 29, 2012 7:59 AM 
Century Club

Good question, Logerine! I'm still not clear on this answer. From what I have been (recently) learning, the fact that finding a newsstand issue of a particular comic in NM condition is far more difficult than finding a NM direct market issue. So, is that it or is there something I'm missing?

PostPosted: Feb 29, 2012 8:15 AM 
Forum Junkie

Logerine wrote:
I came here looking for this topic. Glad pwog started it. Thanks.

I was wondering about other collectors' thoughts on this subject. I have noticed that Mile High Comics usually charges a lot more for some newsstand editions than the direct market editions. For example: Spider-Man Versus Wolverine (1987 1st print) Mile High Comics is charging $24.00 for a NM direct edition and $52.50 for a newsstand edition. Is the newsstand really that more rare of a book in this issue to validate the higher price? Just asking.

First off, Mile High Comics really isn't the best source for pricing comics. They are known to, let's say, charge a premium over what you normally will find a book for then offer discounts using codewords to make it seem like a good deal. With that said, here is my thoughts on it.

Generally speaking, newsstand versions are going to be harder to find on the secondary market, especially in high grades. Why? Because, typically, the people who purchase comics from the newsstand are not the serious collector but the casual fan. They aren't aware of (or really care about) how condition plays into the value of a book so they are more likely to be mishandled. Also, the stores that sell newsstand copies don't have the best display racks and can damage the book before the person even buys it. Finally, the newsstand version of a comic is usually returnable to the distributor. That means the only copies that end up being available on the secondary market are only those that sold off of the stands.

With the direct market issues, those are usually printed based off of the preorders received with an additional allocation for overstock. The comic shops that purchase direct market comics cannot return them so almost all of the print run will be available on the secondary market at one point or another. It is also the secondary market where additional printings will appear if it is a particularly popular issue. Finally, the comic shops (and customers) will usually handle the issues in a much safer manner making higher grade copies more readily available.

Does that mean that newsstand editions should be "worth more" than the direct market edition? That is harder to pinpoint. So far, I have not seen a collector base that desires to have newsstand copies over direct market copies. They want a copy of the issue regardless of where it came from. While some might place a premium on it, the general collecting hobby has not. It is possible that this will change but that is why you aren't seeing every issue that has a direct market and newsstand version being priced differently in the price guides, collectors, frankly, just really don't care for the most part. I have a Spawn #1 that has the newsstand UPC. I've seen hundreds, if not thousands, of copies without it but not too many with it. Is it worth more? Not according to the price guides. Until there is a paradigm shift on how newsstand issues are accepted in the hobby, I don't think that it'll ever change. :2cents:

PostPosted: Feb 29, 2012 1:23 PM 
Quingenti Maximus

Logerine wrote:
I have noticed that Mile High Comics usually charges a lot more for some newsstand editions than the direct market editions. For example: Spider-Man Versus Wolverine (1987 1st print) Mile High Comics is charging $24.00 for a NM direct edition and $52.50 for a newsstand edition. Is the newsstand really that more rare of a book in this issue to validate the higher price? Just asking.

If you're buying from Mile High, getting a NM of anything can be pretty rare. :sinister:

PostPosted: Feb 29, 2012 8:45 PM 
Century Club

Quote:
If you're buying from Mile High, getting a NM of anything can be pretty rare.

You got that right, brother. Mile High's NM is more like VF or VF-, and I've been burned by them at least twice. (But at least they aren't as bad as Comic Supply)A lot of times the paper of Mile High's books, even ones published in the 1990s, is off white when it shouldn't be. I imagine their stock being stored in huge warehouses that aren't the best of conditions for comics. And I too have noticed their big 60% and 50% "discount" ads when actually it isn't a discount at all. I even sent an e-mail to them stating how they raise their prices through the roof, and their discount isn't actually a discount at all.

Back to the topic at hand.When I was collecting in the 80s and 90s, I always cherished the direct market editions more because I hated the look of those ugly barcodes on the newsstand covers. The barcodes don't bother me as much now, and I can understand how the newsstand copies are more rare, especially in high grades. I think Mile High is taking advantage of the difference between the direct market and newsstand copies. The content of the books is the same and for the most part the covers are too. I don't think their should be a different pricing based on barcode or picture of Captain America or Spider-Man in the lower corner of the book. Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2012 6:31 AM 
Forum Junkie

Logerine wrote:
I don't think their should be a different pricing based on barcode or picture of Captain America or Spider-Man in the lower corner of the book. Just my opinion.

This seems to be the generally accepted opinion in the hobby and until that changes, I don't see there being a difference in pricing.